Saturday, February 12, 2011

Perfecto Mobile - An Overview

As I had promised last month on twitter about a blog post on my experience with Perfecto Mobile, here it is.
What is Perfecto Mobile? 
To quote them,
Perfecto Mobile is a global leading provider of cloud-based testing, automation and monitoring solutions for mobile applications and websites, utilizing a wide selection of REAL mobile devices accessible via the web.
 So, I got interested in knowing more about them & wanted to use their services.
And they amazed me with their demo, the services offered and the support.

A demo was scheduled and I was briefed through the entire list of features:
* Selection of handsets
* Actions which can be performed on the handsets
* Automation - How to simulate some of the user actions
and most important of all, I was shown a real device and not some simulator!
The actions we performed were on a REAL MOBILE DEVICE.

For someone like me who always heard of simulators & tested on simulators, this was amazing - actions reflected on a REAL device.
I agree that it is different than testing on a physical device but according to me, it is effective than testing on a emulator.

So, once the demo was over, I got few free hours to play around. Special thanks to Sveta for the demo which included a lot of questions from my side. She answered each one of them to my satisfaction.

I was very excited to see if what was demoed actually works !!! Yes, I am a tester - a tester who likes to test to my satisfaction before endorsing a product. I recommend Hexawise, Rapid Reporter and now Perfecto Mobile

With free hours added to my account, I started exploring. I have a Nokia E63 and I was more interested in trying out features of E63.

I did a freestyle exploratory testing session of Perfecto Mobile. Wish I had learnt using Rapid Reporter before testing Perfecto Mobile!

Feel free to go through my overview of Perfecto Mobile.
CLICK HERE to view the report.

As a concluding note, I would like to highlight the advantages of Perfecto Mobile services.
I have tested an iPhone app on a simulator, found bugs which were not present on the actual device. Also, I could not reproduce the bugs found on iPhones on the simulator. Can you see the difference?

Testing on Emulators, Simulators is not equal to testing on REAL DEVICES.
Make use of the services provided by Perfecto Mobile - Variety of handsets, ease of use and most important - you can share your testing activities real-time.


TEST it yourself to BELIEVE it.  

Useful Links:
Perfecto Mobile website
Perfecto Brochure

PS: Let me search for what's an emulator & what's a simulator!


8 comments:

TestSheep said...

Interesting - never heard of them before!

I managed to attend a Cloud Camp (talking about Cloud services) in NZ, if there's ever one near you, you should hunt one out - very interesting, and you get out of it what you put in!

Ajay Balamurugadas said...

@TestSheep,
Thanks for the comment. Did you mean something similar to http://www.slideshare.net/riarui/the-emergence-of-cloud-computing-and-software-testing

Regards,
Ajay

DT said...

I've tried it before and it's okay. But do check out DeviceAnywhere - it's actually much better. They have more devices and you can do more with them.

Anonymous said...

@AT: What can be done more with DeviceAnywhere?

Anonymous said...

This is great! I just wonder if Perfecto Mobile can fully test native applications on mobile devices?

Unknown said...

This is very good.I also recommend you to read how to do mobile testing.

Mobile Testing: An Overview

Unknown said...

Make your Software Valuable by testing your valuable Mobile Application testing software service offshore or In-Housing

Unknown said...

I actually prefer Experitest's Seetest tool (http://experitest.com/) - it also runs on real devices but is a safer tool than Pefecto Mobile as it uses an internal cloud system as opposed to the public cloud used by Perfecto Mobile